Colourful Trails of the Southwest End Albuquerque
Brochure Type: USA Canada and Central America 2023
On this Southwest USA tour, each day is a cultural and natural adventure. You'll stay inside Grand Canyon National Park, explore ancient Puebloan cliff dwellings in Mesa Verde National Park and natural arches near Moab, and ride a 4x4 through Monument Valley's landscapes with a member of the Navajo Nation.
- Explore the Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Arches National Park, Canyonlands National Park
- Visit Scottsdale, Mesa Verde, Cameron Trading Post, Horseshoe Bend Lookout, Moab, Durango, Taos and Santa Fe
- Scenic Drive through Sedona's Red Rock Country, Oak Creek Canyon, Grand Canyon National Park's Desert View Drive, Trail of the Ancients National Scenic Byway and the High Road Scenic Byway from Taos to Santa Fe
- Grand Canyon: Trace the scenic South Rim of the Grand Canyon along Desert View Drive. See the historic Watchtower built by Mary Colter in the Puebloan style and visit the 'Inter-tribal Cultural Heritage Site', the first in the National Park Service.
- Monument Valley: Travel to Monument Valley for a highly enjoyable cookout lunch with members of the Navajo Nation. You'll take off-road vehicles to the cookout site where you'll enjoy a delicious steak and chicken dinner with a chance to try traditional Navajo tacos and fry-bread.
- Moab: Enjoy a hosted Be My Guest dinner at Canyon Steak and Waffle hosted by Shawn Welch. She worked as a server for many years before purchasing her own old-style diner.
- Durango: Stay at The Strater Hotel, adorned with beautiful handcrafted woodwork, housing the largest collection of American Victorian walnut antiques. It's Durango's Historic Landmark Hotel, showcasing stories of the old west and mining times.
- Mesa Verde: Enjoy an in-depth visit to fascinating Mesa Verde National Park and observe some of the best-preserved Ancestral Puebloan archaeological sites in the United States.
- Santa Fe: Visit the 50-acre property on a private tour with local specialist to see some of Allan Houser's most amazing works known for his magnificent sculptures and paintings depicting various Indigenous tribes.
- An expert Travel Director and professional Driver
- Cherry-picked hotels, all tried and trusted
- All porterage and restaurant gratuities
- All hotel tips, charges and local taxes
- Breakfast daily and up to half of your evening meals
- Must-see sightseeing and surprise extras
- Audio headsets for flexible sightseeing
- All transport and transfers shown
- Luxury air-conditioned coach with Wi-Fi in most countries or alternative transportation (such as rail journeys)
- Optional Experiences and free time
Call (603) 995-4019 for more information or to book today! Mention code 16973981
- Tour Operator
- Trafalgar Tours
- Offer valid through 12/31/2022
- 10 Days
- Escorted - Yes
|Day 1||Phoenix and Scottsdale||Welcome to Phoenix and Scottsdale: Sun-kissed Phoenix kickstarts your journey through America' stunning Southwest. You’ll have the day on your own to recover from your travels, then meet your Travel Director and fellow travellers for a Welcome Reception later this evening.|
Sonesta Suites Scottsdale Gainey Ranch
|Day 2||See The Red Rocks of Sedona||See The Red Rocks Of Sedona Connect with Locals: Your first stop today is in the artists' enclave of Sedona - surrounded by red-rock buttes, steep canyon walls and pine forests. You'll travel through Oak Creek Canyon next, with its rocky red cliffs, then venture to the UNESCO-listed Grand Canyon National Park, where a Local Specialist will share the canyon's many geological marvels. Tonight, you'll have an opportunity to overnight at one of the lodges inside the park.|
National Park Lodges
|Day 3||Grand Canyon||Take In The Sights Of The Grand Canyon Make Travel Matter: Don't miss an unforgettable experience: Rise early for an optional flightseeing over the Grand Canyon and then trace the scenic South Rim of the Grand Canyon along Desert View Drive. Enjoy a MAKE TRAVEL MATTER Experience as we visit Desert View's Pueblo-style Watch tower and support the development of the Desert View Inter-tribal Heritage Center. Later, we'll all stop at Cameron Trading Post and perhaps sample traditional Native American fry bread. Finally, we'll take a walk to the rim of Glen Canyon to Horseshoe Bend. This evening, join an Optional Experience for a bird's eye view from atop one of the desert Southwest's most fascinating features with a helicopter flight to the top of Tower Butte.|
Courtyard by Marriott Page at Lake Powell
|Day 4||Canyonlands National Park||Take A Scenic Drive To Canyonlands National Park Connect with Locals Make Travel Matter: Depart Page and drive through Navajo Tribal Lands to Monument Valley Navajo Tribal Park, the largest reservation in the United States with over 17 million acres of land between Arizona, Utah, and New Mexico. Dive Into Culture as you board a 4x4 vehicle and navigate the iconic red valley landscape guided by a member of the Navajo Nation and Local Specialist. Pause and settle in surrounded by buttes and mesas in this sacred land for a Connect With Locals outdoor chicken and steak barbeque lunch prepared by a Navajo tribe member as they share stories about the Dineh (Navajo) people and their connection to Monument Valley. Then continue to Moab on a scenic drive from Monument Valley where your Travel Director will share intel on some of the sights you'll see along the way. Sit back and enjoy views of the San Juan River, Mexican Hat, Bluff, and the Abajo "Blue Mountain" and La Sal Mountains. Your time in Moab-the gateway city to Arches National Park, Canyonlands National park, and the Colorado River-kicks off with a hearty Be My Guest experience dinner at Canyon Steak and Waffle. So much more than a place to refuel after a day of exploring, this is your chance to sit down and learn about local life through our host and restaurant owner Shawn Welch. Shawn shares her story and connection to the diner as you learn about growing up in Moab and how she's come to own and operate an authentic American diner.|
Springhill Suites by Marriott Moab
|Day 5||The Landscape Of Arches National Park||Admire The Landscape Of Arches National Park: This morning, discover how the forces of wind and rain have shaped the enchanting landscape of Arches National Park in the stunning formations that they are, with countless perfect photo opportunities. Later, journey to Canyonlands National Park to connect with nature even more.|
Springhill Suites by Marriott Moab
|Day 6||Mesa Verde||Discover The History Of Mesa Verde Stays With Stories: We arrive in the UNESCO-listed Mesa Verde National Park to delve into the history and culture of the Ancestral Puebloan people. Explore their beautifully preserved sandstone dwellings. This evening, in Durango, your Stay With Story is historic Strater Hotel. You'll have the evening at leisure to explore the historic town of Durango.|
Strater Hotel, Durango
|Day 7||Durango||Dive Into Durango: Enjoy free time in Durango today. Perhaps, enjoy a truly unforgettable step back in time, on an optional ride aboard the coal-fired, steam-powered narrow-gauge train. The train chugs along rails that were originally laid at the end of the 19th century, winding through a spectacular wilderness which would be inaccessible by car. If you're feeling more adventurous, opt for a white water rafting trip on the Animas River.|
Strater Hotel, Durango
|Day 8||Unlock The Legacy Of The Pueblo||Unlock The Legacy Of The Pueblo Make Travel Matter: This morning's drive takes you through the towns of Pagosa Springs and Chama. Then you enjoy a MAKE TRAVEL MATTER??Experience as you visit one of the greatest Ancestral Puebloan archaeological sites in the Southwest. Be immersed into the fascinating cliff dwellings and take a walk along the canyon and volcanic mountains that surround this park and learn about the history of the people that inhabited this area around 1,000 years ago. Meet your Taos tribal resident guide and explore the only living Native American community designated both a World Heritage Site by UNESCO and a National Historic Landmark. The journey continues along the High Road - Santa Fe Scenic Byway, rich in history, art and culture. Arrive at the hotel, ideally located two short blocks from Santa Fe's Historic Plaza.|
Hilton Santa Fe Historic Plaza
|Day 9||Santa Fe||Taste The Unique Culture Of Santa Fe Make Travel Matter: Get ready for a MAKE TRAVEL MATTER Experience with a visit to the Allan Houser Sculpture Garden. See many of the city's major sights before you have the rest of the day to pursue your own interests before gathering together for a fantastic farewell dinner.|
Hilton Santa Fe Historic Plaza
|Day 10||Albuquerque||End Your Journey In Albuquerque: Our journey through desert landscapes at its end, make your own way to Albuquerque Airport.|
- These prices are correct at the time of the website going live, however are subject to confirmation at the time of booking.
- All tour information is correct at time of tours going live, however is subject to change, please confirm all details at time of booking.
- For full terms and conditions, please refer to our Conditions page.
- Hotel Class Key: D: Deluxe SF: Superior First Class F: First Class