Brochure Type: Eastern Mediterranean 2022
An in-depth Greece trip for history buffs and lovers of Greek food and culture. You'll enjoy traditional dinner and dancing on an olive farm, travel to the enchanting island of Corfu and explore ancient sights like Mycenae, Olympia and Delphi you've read about in history books.
- Explore Mycenae, Olympia, Meteora, Delphi and Athens with a Local Specialist
- Discover Corfu, Metsovo, Meteora and Galaxidi
- Visit the ancient theatre at Epidaurus, the Olympic Stadium in Olympia, the island of Corfu, the monastery of Palaiokastritsa and Achilleon Palace, the towns of Ioannina and Metsovo, the rock monasteries in Meteora, Mount Pelion region, the home of the Oracle at Delphi, the port town of Galaxidi and the Acropolis in Athens
- View the Sanctuary of Asclepius at Epidaurus and the Parthenon, Agora, Royal Palace and Temple of Zeus in Athens
- See the Corinth Canal, the Lion Gate and Agamemnon's Palace at Mycenae
- Connect With Locals Say opa! to an Olympic Be My Guest experience with the Karambellas family on their olive and wine farm, followed by a traditional dinner and dancing.
- Dive Into Culture Learn about the winemaking tradition of the Nemea region and enjoy a local wine tasting.
- 1 Be My Guest
- 1 Farewell Dinner
- 1 Welcome Reception
- 10 Breakfasts
- All hotel tips, charges and local taxes
- All porterage and restaurant gratuities
- An expert Travel Director and professional Driver
- Audio headsets for flexible sightseeing
- Breakfast daily and up to half of your evening meals
- Cherry-picked hotels, all tried and trusted
- High-speed ferry from Athens to Santorini
- Luxury air-conditioned coach with Wi-Fi in most countries or alternative transportation (such as rail journeys)
- Must-see sightseeing and surprise extras
- Optional Experiences and free time
- Return ferry to Corfu
Call (603) 995-4019 for more information or to book today! Mention code 16627343
- Tour Operator
- Trafalgar Tours
- Offer valid through 9/30/2022
- 11 Days
- Escorted - Yes
|Day 1||Athens||Welcome to Athens: Venture back to a time when great philosophers roamed the halls of the Agora and gods competed for mythical supremacy. Your journey delving into the treasures of Greece begins in its vibrant capital, which you will have an opportunity to explore after being transferred to your hotel. Kick off your in-depth discovery of what was once the 'Cradle of Western Civilisation' this evening, when you meet your Travel Director and travel companions for a Welcome Reception.|
Radisson Blu Park
|Day 2||Epidaurus and Nafplion||Journey to Epidaurus and Nafplion: We journey to a land of legends this morning. Our leisurely drive takes us to the scenic northeast Peloponnese and past the impressive Corinth Canal, which straddles two gulfs. Our first stop is the ancient theatre of Epidaurus and the Sanctuary of Asclepius, God of Medicine, whose snake-entwined staff remains the symbol of medicine to this day. Take to the stage and hear first-hand the magnificent acoustics that would entertain over 14,000 spectators, then spend the rest of the day exploring the Venetian-inspired seaport of Nafplion. Amble past its Neoclassical mansions or enjoy a traditional meal against the scenic backdrop of the bay.|
|Day 3||A Day Exploring Mycenae||A Day Exploring Mycenae: We continue our journey inland and join a Local Specialist for a guided visit of Mycenae, its ruins remain as a testament of what was once an important palatial centre of the late Bronze Age in Greece. Stroll through the Lion Gate and Agamemnon's Royal Palace, before seeing the tomb of this fearless Greek leader who commanded the Greeks in their battles against Trojan forces. This afternoon, we Dive Into Culture and sample delicious local vintages, gaining insights into wine production in the Nemea region. We'll have free time to stroll through the seaside retreat of Nafplion with a delicious Greek ice cream in hand.|
|Day 4||Olympia||Onwards to Ancient Olympia: Crossing the Peloponnese, we head towards the famous village of Olympia, where sacrifices were once made to the gods, and athletes competed for supremacy in the ancient Olympic Games. Visit the ruins of temples, the museum and the stadium, with our Local Specialist, imagining agile runners racing in honour of Zeus. This evening, we Connect With Locals joining the Karambellas family on their olive and wine farm for a traditional Be My Guest experience including dinner and dancing. |
|Day 5||Nikopolis and Sail to Corfu||Off to Nikopolis and Sail to Corfu: We leave the Peninsula and return to mainland Greece, continuing north past Amphilochia and Preveza, before arriving in Nikopolis to see where the Battle of Actium took place. Boarding a ferry, we cross to the beautiful island of Corfu where we have some time at leisure to admire its splendid architecture, arcades and Spianada, one of the largest and most impressive squares in Greece. |
|Day 6||Corfu||A Day to Discover Amazing Corfu: Begin your day with an orientation tour of the island, followed by a visit to the Venetian Castle and the Monastery of Palaiokastritsa. Later, we stop at the Phaeacian-styled Achilleion Palace, built by Elizabeth 'Sissi' Empress of Austria and Hungary, who so admired Greece and its culture that she decided to build an enchanting summer retreat here. Stroll through its Imperial Gardens and enjoy magnificent views of the lush valley and glistening Ionian Sea beyond before returning to your hotel for an evening on your own terms.|
|Day 7||Continue on to Lakeside Ioannina||Continue on to Lakeside Ioannina: We bid farewell to island living on Corfu and sail back to the mainland, continuing to the lively lakeside city of Ioannina, where we spend the rest of the day at leisure. Stroll along the tranquil lakeshore and through the Old Town to admire its Ottoman and Byzantine treasures, including the imposing castle that overlooks Lake Pamvotis.|
|Day 8||Meteora and Mount Pelion||Journey to Meteora and Mount Pelion: The delicious flavours of Metsovone cheese and wine provide a fitting start to our day. We continue to Kalambaka where a Local Specialist will reveal the famous Byzantine Monasteries of Meteora that stand almost impossibly perched atop colossal boulders. Pass the seaside town of Volos before arriving into Portaria.|
|Day 9||Thermopylae, Delphi and on to Galaxidi||Admire Thermopylae, Delphi and on to Galaxidi: Traversing the peaks of Parnassos and Giona, we stop in Thermopylae, the mythical entrance to Hades and the site where Leonidas and his 300 Spartans fought bravely against the invading Persians. Join a Local Specialist for a guided visit to Delphi, the seat of the most important oracle in the classical world. Walk the Sacred Way to the 4th-century Temple of Apollo and ramble through what remains of this ancient sanctuary, once the site of the Pythian Games, a precursor of the modern Olympics. The seaside village of Galaxidi is our final stop for the day.|
|Day 10||Athens||Return to Athens: We return to cosmopolitan Athens for a day of delving into antiquity, coming face-to-face with the treasures of Ancient Greece. We ascend to the Acropolis and join a Local Specialist for a sightseeing tour with magnificent views of Athena's Parthenon, the Agora, Royal Palace and Temple of Zeus. See Hadrian's Arch, built to celebrate the arrival of the Roman Emperor Hadrian, and view the stadium where the first modern Olympics took place in 1896. On our final evening together, we join our fellow travellers for a Farewell Dinner to celebrate the millennia and miles explored together on this epic voyage of discovery.|
Radisson Blu Park
|Day 11||Athens||Farewell Athens: We bid farewell to Athens and newfound friends as we prepare to depart Greece. Find out more about your free airport transfer at trafalgar.com/freetransfers.|
- Flights: Onward flights from Athens airport should not be scheduled before 2pm.
- These prices are correct at the time of the website going live, however are subject to confirmation at the time of booking.
- All tour information is correct at time of tours going live, however is subject to change, please confirm all details at time of booking.
- For full terms and conditions, please refer to our Conditions page.
- Hotel Class Key: D: Deluxe SF: Superior First Class F: First Class